Thursday, December 18, 2008

The dreaded diet....

Here is the diet my doctor wants me to live by, he wants all his patients to eat "ONLY this, not this plus other stuff" as he told me the other day. Get ready to laugh!

*1 quart milk (I hate milk, so I tried for a few days and I realized I would never be able to do that for my entire pregnancy-so I take those calcium chews instead, sometimes yogurt too)
*1 egg
*1 oz cheese (cheese has been the thing I crave the most! I have been loving cheese, do you know how small one oz. is? ugh!
*1 portion of meat or fish
*2 portions of veggies
*2 portions fruit
*1 slice of bread
*1 pat of butter

So you see my frustration...I realize he is totally old school though, my mom said back in the day she had a friend who went to him and it was the same diet. He is so strict on weight gain, which I am glad I guess because I don't want to gain a bunch of weight, but geez he made me feel horrible like I sit around and eat bon bons all day or something! I really do like my doctor and am not mad at him or anything, I just find it to be a strange diet and think women would lose weight their entire pregnancy if this is all they ate. Every doctor has their quirks and this is his for sure.
I have been attempting to try this diet (trying being the key word) for a while at least because I wouldn't mind dropping a couple pounds. It is hard, for breakfast I will have a slice of flourless bread with one scrambled egg and a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Once breakfast is done check off one slice of bread, egg, and cheese and there isn't much left for the rest of the day. To a carb-o-holic like myself this is my worst nightmare--where is the pasta and bread!!!! So I guess for a couple more weeks at least (minus Christmas day) I will stick to it somewhat. I will keep my veggie platter in the fridge for snacking and my oranges, apples and pears on hand for my sweet cravings.

Tonight I did make chicken noodle soup....it was really yummy!

Eric has been sick with a cold and also gone for a couple nights for work so I made it for him when he got home. Plus I made it healthy so I could eat it too. : )



Chicken Noodle Soup
Tyler Florence (food network)
serivings: 4, seems like more though

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 med onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 med carrots, 1/2 inch slices
2 celery ribs, 1/2 slices
sliced mushrooms (not in his original recipe, I added them-obviously you can add whatever you like)
4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
2 quarts chicken stock (I used low sodium)
8 ounces dried egg noodles (I used whole wheat, more fiber!)
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (love the rottessiere chickens)
salt and pepper
1 handful of fresh flat-leafed parsley,finely chopped

Coat bottom of soup pot with oil. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir about 6 min or until softened but not browned. Pour in chicken stock and bring liquid to boil. Add noodles and simmer for 5 minutes until tender. Fold in chicken and simmer for another couple minutes to heat through, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
It is a simple, healthy soup that cooks in no time if you get the rottessiere chicken and don't make your own stock--who does that anyway?!

2 comments:

Jill said...

There is no way I could do that diet for 9 months. (LOL) I still don't like the fact that he has a pregnant woman on a diet...especially since you are still so tiny, but as long as you are happy that's all I care about! :)

Your chicken noodle soup looks DE-LISH! I'm going to have to make some now!

((HUGS & LOVE, SWEET GIRL!))

bandofbrothers said...

wow, that diet is strict. i would probably take it with a grain of salt(no pun intended). great to not gain a ton of weight, but if i ate that tiny amount i would have no energy to do anything except lay there...and i think that is not healthy either!